and none of them have to do with the house…
We’re about to fly off on our grand tour of Europe (also known as GTE-which makes it sound like a car lubricant, but I digress). And while I’m THRILLED about the trip- I also recognize the dollar’s weakness in Europe, and that the money we’re spending could be used on…want to guess?
Oh, the house? Yeah, the house.
To which makes me debate- what is more important? Fixing up the house? Or taking a GTE?
Pros to Fixing the House
- The house will gain some value by improvements- maybe not what we spend on the improvement, but something in this horrible home market.
- We can increase the usable floor space and storage space (specifically with our attic conversion)
- TWO bathrooms!!!! Um…not that I don’t love sharing a 24″ bathroom sink with my husband as we get ready in the mornings for work…Cause I DO! The elbows in the face don’t bother me at all! (love you honey)
- Maybe, eventually, we’ll be done! All projects will be complete! (Which means it will be time to move to a new house- or start the process all over again.)
Pros to GTE
- It’s Europe! London, Munich, Venice, Rome! Europe! Have I mentioned that it’s EUROPE?
- Exposure to multiple types of architecture may inspire better additions to our home (I know, it’s a stretch)
- I haven’t had a true vacation since Christmas last year…which as I write that, makes me sound a bit spoiled, no?
- I get to learn about a new culture, practice a new language, and enjoy the amazing cuisine…and if I don’t care for the cuisine, I get to eat gelato!
- I can track down Michaelangelo’s muse to inspire my photography- or at least have some rocking pictures to hang up in the aforementioned house.
Ok, so I’m not going to give up the GTE (it won by one bullet point anyway)- but do still feel a little bit of guilt over the trip. I guess I’ll just have to drown it in Oktoberfest beer and Venetian tiramisu…