Dear Self from 15 hours ago.
While I realize the urge to bake something comes on strongly at times, in the future, I request that you please remember to:
- Check you have all needed ingredients before you start the process so you don’t have to send Hus out into a windstorm for more yeast or brown sugar.
- Check that all the ingredients are FRESH and not WAY WAY out of date- preferably before Hus comes home with the first batch of ingredients…
- Check the weather- if it has been unseasonably warm that day, your house will be hot. The oven is also hot. I trust you can do the math.
- Be sure to also check the time- and the time it takes to make the recipe- so you aren’t up at midnight waiting for it to finish baking.
- Butter and sugar burn easily. Take the batteries out of the smoke detector before you begin.
- Don’t forget to make sure you have all the required implements needed to make the recipe- like, you know, a rolling pin…
- Also note- pint glasses do not make good rolling pins.
- Do not- under any circumstance– start a multi-hour baking project the same night you need to pack for a weekend getaway. It does not work. Trust me on this one…
PS- Your coworkers are bringing in doughnuts today- rendering your baked goods (forgotten anyway in the fridge) useless.